Sunday, September 12, 2010

Kindergarten in the South

So we've finished our first two weeks of kindergarten (only missing 2 days so far for asthma!) And I thought I'd share a little about it because it's SO different from when I went to kindergarten.

8:30am school starts--if you get there after the bell rings you have to sign your child in and sign a paper saying that you were tardy. It has three copies, one for you, one for the teacher, and one for the office. Seriously.

During the week: she has PE twice, music, drama, dancing, and art (all on different days, with specialized teachers), this is in addition to writing/reading/math--normal school stuff.

Lunch is from 10:40-11:10am. They can't talk during lunch. Southern cafeteria food looks gross by the way, JJ eats it once a week. She can also buy ice cream for 75 cents on Fridays.

Recess only happens once/day and I don't think it's very long 20 minutes or so? After recess is naptime. That's right, naptime. Each kid has a mat and blanket and they have to lay down for an hour. The teacher says most of the kids sleep. What? My kid hasn't taken a nap since she was 2.5 yrs old! J just lays there and is bored. Oh well.

Since they eat so early, they have a snack every day. The parents are responsible for bringing in a snack about once a month. So far J has had cheetos twice so she's in heaven.

3:00pm School gets out. She has homework every night but Friday. It's about 15 minutes of worksheets, handwriting practice etc.

Is that crazy? When I went to kindergarten I'm pretty sure we just played and did art projects. Not to mention the fact that it was only 3-4 hours longs. Luckily J is so social she's in heaven just being there. It's weird having her gone so much though.

Thoughts from the kindergarten teacher?

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Wow Kindergarten has certainly changed! I have very fond memories of being a purple oval with Amanda. They only have 1 recess in VA too, which I think is a total rip off! The best recess was after lunch. Did you gag when you saw the shopping list of stuff you had to buy for J? I've seen the one for my nephew and man they want you to buy a ton of stuff!

Amanda said...

What kind of stuff would a kindergärtner need for school? I still remember pajama day and eating pancakes. Why can't they talk at lunch???