Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Date With the Family


I have needed to write on the blog and tell you about my funny date that I went on. Background: 2 years I ago I worked with an older couple teaching english classes to the spanish members in my stake. They said they wanted to set me up with their son. I said sure and figured it would never happen.
I got a call on Thanksgiving Day. Sister Stewart is so excited because, "After two years, Steve has finally agreed to go out with you." Talk about a self esteem boost. Well then she said, "We don't want this to be awkward so we are going go on the date with you." Now Steve is 35. Keep that in mind.
They call me later and set up a day. The day before they call to get my address and tell me that all his siblings will be able to come on the date too with their spouses! Oh goodie. So the day comes and I have never talked to Steve. I get a knock at the door and it is Brother Stewart with his is cane. He walks me to the car. I ride to Golden Coral with Brother and Sister Stewart. We get to park in the handi-cap parking (the second time I have ever got to do that on a date). Little old Brother Stewart walks around with his cane to get my door and his wife's door. I feel really bad.
Now I am dress in slacks and a nice sweater, wearing a nice p-coat. I go in the restaurant and meet my knight in shining armor. He is wearing an old t-shirt, jeans and an old coat that is two big for him. He has a 35 year old pop belly and long slicked back hair. I feel over dressed. Nice to meet you Steve. You look like you are 40.
We have dinner. The all the siblings play 20 questions with me. My date did ask me a few questions. The family exchanges presents. I feel like I am invading on a family christmas dinner. Oh wait I guess I am. Steve is a stock broker. That is about all I learned about him.
Dinner is done. And I go out to the parking lot. Steve gives me a hug and little old Brother Stewart opens my car door and I get in. On the way home I find out that Steve is not even active in the church. Perfect. Match made in heaven. When I get home. Little Old Brother Stewart gets my car door and walks me to my door. He asks me if I had a good time and says he hopes Steve will call. He gives me a hug. I am thinking, "I am having a door step scene with a little old man."
And that was my date with a family. I say a family because they paid for the dinner. They took me there and back. (Steve could have taken me home. He didn't live that far away but his parents took me home). And the family did most of the talking. It was one of the weirdest dates I have ever been on. But at least it was a free meal?

4 comments:

Tricia said...

Oh man...That's SO bad. Great story though! I'm glad it's all over with!!

Courtney said...

Something like that would only happen to you Emily. We need to find you a boy so you can avoid situations like that!

Abs said...

Wow. Worst date ever. It's laughable it's so bad. How awkward.

Cat said...

I laughed my head off and told Adam's family. We were all laughing at the incredible awkwardness of it all. So sorry Em!